Friday, November 7, 2008

Thankfully, A False Alarm

Yesterday, we had a scary moment (or partial day) with Abigail. It began Wednesday night around 9 o'clock when I felt Abigail moving. She was moving so much that I even commented to Jeromy about it. Then, I had a good nights sleep (strange in itself). What stood out to me about the good sleep was that every night I am awaken at least once by Abigail moving. She usually moves so much that it is usually a half hour to a hour until she settles down enough for me to sleep again. But that didn't happen Wednesday night. So, then, I focused everything on feeling her move. All morning at school, I felt nothing. When it came time for my cafeteria duty I bought two cookies and ate them. I thought that the sugar would get her moving. Still nothing. Now I was getting nervous.

When I returned to my room after cafeteria duty (around 12:00) I called the doctor. They wanted me to come in to be hooked up to the monitor at 1:00. Well, they took a phone call to the office and a rapid making up of lesson plans for whomever the secretary placed in my room for the final two periods. When the bell rang releasing my 15 minute study hall class to lunch (at 12:18), I quickly left to head to the other side of town.

As I pulled out of the parking lot I started freaking out because I was so scared something was wrong and I was going to the doctor by myself. I didn't have time to drive over to get my mom and Jeromy was sleeping with the phone unplugged. I didn't have time to wake him up and get him dressed. So, I called the house and began to leave a message for him. He heard my voice and the fact that I was crying (I was really scared and nervous) and he quickly answered the phone. He quickly got dressed and was ready by the time I pulled in the driveway.

Well, we arrived at the doctor's office by 1:00 (a miracle in itself) and they hooked me up to the monitor. Right away we were greeted by a strong heartbeat. I have never been so happy to hear her heartbeat (I began to cry again. I know not a surprise.) Then we waited for her to move. She moved a couple times, but not enough. So the nurse used this vibrating thingy on my stomach. Once again, she moved but it was still not enough (even though she was approving). So, the nurse brought me an orange juice and I drank it up. That finally did the ticket and she moved...A LOT! Actually, she didn't stop moving for the rest of the evening! Jeromy joked that I was going to pay and she would keep me up all night.

I felt really stupid, but the nurse said that I had done exactly what I should have done. She said you can never be too careful. I would have to agree!

Even though this has been a long story, the good news is that Abigail is fine! It was a false alarm and she remains very healthy! Just a little update...she has been moving all day!

2 comments:

Sharon said...

I remember both Jourdyn and Nadine doing this. It must be a girl thing! It is very scary when they act out of the normal...what's cool is that you already know her pattern...mommies are so cool! And being one is even better

TakeShapewithTricia said...

I was tearing up as I read your day. I am so thankful that the news was good. I think most of us who have struggled with infertility and then are blessed with a pregnancy are super aware of every movement- or lack there of. We will be praying for the three of you. Not too much longer and she'll be in your arms.