Wednesday, November 21, 2007

There is no list!

That is the response we received at work just days after the failed levy. Everyone is worried about their jobs (with good reason) and rumors are flying! So, they informed us that there is not a list of cuts (at least not at this time). We don't necessarily believe that, but I'm not worried. Nothing is going to change if I worry, so I just need to relax and do my job. That is exactly what I am doing.

On a lighter note, the response of "there is no list" came at a funny time for me. My junior class is beginning a unit on Arthur Miller's The Crucible. To prepare for this unit we have been spending a lot of time talking about McCarthyism during the early 1950s. On the day that we received the e-mail about the "list" we had been talking about Hollywood during McCarthyism and the blacklist that circulated there. We had actually watched a clip from The Majestic where Jim Carrey's character is blacklisted but the studio denies that the list actually existed. Now, I am not comparing the school district to McCarthyism. I just find it funny that we were talking about that the same day the administration made that comment.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

No list...yeah right! I would beg to differ, but I'm with you on the point that it's out of our control. There is nothing we can personally do to change the situation so we may as well not get our feathers ruffled. :-)