Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Sad...but True

I actually took this video from a friend's blog. It really moved me. Teenagers do not always realize how well they have it here in the United States (and in Australia, in the case of the video). Of course, neither do adults.

My friends (whose blog I took this from) are adopting two beautiful girls from Ethiopia. Actually, they are leaving in in about two weeks to bring them home. With this upcoming addition to their family I have really been thinking about the culture shock they are going to experience when they arrive in the U.S. But, as I think of about this, I realize it is because of all the excess we have. They are leaving a country where people are dying because of lack of food, clean water, and medical supplies and we throw away all of these resources every day. Think of all the food we waste and these little girls are currently living in an orphanage where they only receive one meal a day. I think this is why this video touched me so much.

This is an ad for the "40 Hour Famine" held in Australia. We do the "30 Hour Famine" here in the US. I'm not sure why Australia does 10 more hours. This is an event that is connected to World Vision which raises money to feed people who are starving around the world. Our church has participated in this event the last couple of years (I was unable to attend this year because we were out of town visiting family).

I hope this video touches you like it did me. It can be funny, but in truth I found it sad.

No comments: