Sunday, June 15, 2008

The Happening

Yesterday, Jeromy and I spent the whole day together. We went out to
breakfast and then shopping. We also decided that we would go see a
movie. We are big M. Night Shyamalan fans and we thought we would go see
his new movie The Happening. I should preface this by saying that I am not one to see horror movies and this is his first rated R movie. While watching the latest episode of Battlestar Galactica on Friday night I kept seeing previews of the movie that made it look very creepy.

Now,Jeromy really wanted to see it and I had wanted to but was very nervous
that I wouldn't sleep for a week. So, I made a deal with him. We had to
go in the middle of the day (so I would have enough time to calm down
before going to bed) and it had to be a day where he would be home over
night for a few days (so I wouldn't have to sleep in the house alone).

We went to the 1:55 showing and it wasn't as scary as I thought it would be (at least not any more suspenseful/scary then any of M. Night's other films). I would have to say that it was definitely more gory (a man lays down in front of a lawnmower- to name one incident) than any of his others. One disappointment for us is that
we enjoy M. Night Shyamalan films because they make you think. They
often make you think for days about what he is trying to say about
society or the world. This movie was not like that, you quickly catch
on to what his overarching message is. (Of course, it was not nearly
bad as the movie Crash, which I watched
Friday afternoon. You could be a total idiot and know what the message
of that film before five minutes were over).

All in all, I would suggest The
Happening
if you like suspenseful movies. It does make you
think about whether or not it could truly happen (scary thought!).

2 comments:

Laura said...

I would have to disagree about The Happening not making you think. Andy and I had a nice 20 minute conversation. I would agree that I was disappointed in no real thought provoking plot, but to me it was similar to Lady in the Water or The Village.

kyak said...

why do more than half of your june posts have the word happening in it?