Monday, June 30, 2008

Update on Baby

Today we had to travel back to the Toledo Hospital to meet with Dr.
Gonzales (our Maternal Fetal Medicine doctor). I had taken the 1st
Trimester Screening Test two weeks ago. Essentially this involved an
ultrasound where the measured the baby and I had blood taken from my
fingertip. This test essentially tests forDowns Syndrome and other
(worse) varieties along the same lines. A normal score is 1/220 or
lower. My result was 1/210, which is abnormal. So, we had to go see Dr.
Gonzales.

He told us the same thing that Dr. Kanios (my OB/GYN)
had told me. Essentially, because I will be 35 when I deliver my score
is nothing to worry about. Actually, it is considered normal for my age
range. Dr. Gonzales was required to meet with us and talk about the
results. He told us about theamnio test, but we are not doing it (he actually did not encourage us to have it done).

An
unexpected benefit of today's visit was that we had another ultrasound.
They just wanted to check and make sure the baby was growing fine.
Everything checked out! So far so good! We are going back on August 18th for more tests (because of all my genetic issues) and an ultrasound to determine sex!

Very exciting!

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Aren't ultrasounds awesome!!! I don't know what people ever did without them!