Thursday, October 9, 2008

Childbirth Class

Last night I forgot to talk about our first childbirth class. Our teacher's name is Lisa and has been teaching the Lamaze class for many years (over 20 I think she said). I really enjoyed the class last night! The first half of the class was about teaching Jeromy and the other dads how to massage during early labor. Of course there was hands on practice so I got a massage. The best part is that Jeromy has homework where he is to practice the massaging every day until next class. Jeromy leaves for Vegas on Sunday so I won't get an entire week of massages, but I'll take what I can get.

During the second half of class, we watched a video about the stages of labor. I have to say that I was horrified (I don't think I was alone). Now, don't get me wrong, I do not live in a dream world where I thought that the baby just appeared but I was happier not having seen it happen. To know intellectually that the cervix expands and the baby comes out with everything stretching is one thing. To see it happen was frightening! (Mom...I'm even more sure I don't want the mirror to see the birth)

Next week we are learning about relaxation techniques during active labor. Jeromy is going to be in Vegas so my mom is going to stand in.

1 comment:

Sharon said...

yeah Traci I'm right there with you - I didn't need to see the actual stuff - it was enough to feel the pain...Childbirth is scary but being prepared for that fear is the best thing...JOurdyn flipped me out because I had never really experienced it and had no clue what to expect...the class is good for that! Now you'll know!